L'association des jeunes de la rue
Street Outreach is a program administered by the Homelessness Network and intended to engage and support people who may be living outdoors, in tents, or other places not meant for human habitation. Outreach staff walk and drive to locations where people are known to be and offer help to individuals by providing a wide range of services aimed at intervention, reintegration, and social and community readaptation.
During an Extreme Cold Weather Alert, the Outreach team operates the outreach van overnight to transport people to safe places such as shelters and warming centres. They also provide people who choose to stay outside with extra clothing, and blankets.
An Extreme Cold Weather Alert is issued when the temperature is expected to be below -15 degrees Celsius, below -20 degrees with a wind chill, or when Environment Canada issues a storm watch or weather warning. Between November 1st and March 31st every year, the Homelessness Network monitors Environment Canada weather forecasts and is responsible for calling the Alert.
· Safely operate the Outreach van overnight helping individuals who may be homeless or exposed to the elements;
· Transport people to safe places such as shelters or warming centers;
· Provide people who choose to stay outside with extra clothing such as socks, jackets, mitts, and blankets;
· Use a cell phone and provide effective communication between service agencies to coordinate transportation;
· Record daily shift activities and client interactions.
· Administrative duties as required for the position
· Relevant experience in a mutual aid relationship position, preferably with individuals living in vulnerable situations;
· Proof of complete COVID vaccination
· Valid driver’s license
· Good knowledge of the shelter and housing system;
· Good knowledge of harm reduction and trauma informed approaches;
· Fluency in French and English, spoken and written, considered an asset.
Please provide your resume and covering letter
Duration: 10 pm to 8 am – 7 days a week on an on-call basis when a cold alert is issued. November 1st, 2023 – to March 31st, 2024