Whitefish River First Nation
The Whitefish River First Nation (WRFN) is committed to creating a welcoming and inclusive environment that embraces diversity and enriches learning opportunities for students and staff at Shawanosowe School. Therefore, an exciting leadership opportunity is open for applications for the position of Principal.
We are seeking a highly qualified and passionate individual to join our team as a Principal. In this role, you will be responsible for overseeing the daily operations of Shawanosowe School and ensuring a nurturing and inclusive educational environment for our students. The start date for the position is negotiable depending on the availability of the successful applicant but is anticipated that the appointment will be effective January 8th, 2024.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated:
• An understanding of the significant role that Anishinaabe aadziwin plays in a First Nations school. Your appreciation for these elements will help foster a sense of identity and belonging among our students.
• Educational leadership. You will bring exceptional organizational and leadership skills to the table. Your ability to inspire and collaborate with others will contribute to the continued success of our school. Your leadership style encompasses the Seven Gifts demonstrated by your interactions with parents, staff, community, administration, and elected leadership.
• The establishment and promotion of high standards and expectations for all students. Your dedication to excellence will help drive student achievement.
• Experience establishing, monitoring, and updating effective and clear procedures for the operation and functioning of the school. These procedures will be aligned with the school and WRFN philosophy, mission, values, and goals.
• The safety and well-being of our students is of paramount importance. You will oversee building maintenance, program evaluation, personnel management, office operations, and emergency procedures to ensure a safe and orderly climate within the school.
• Leadership in the establishment of the annual master schedule for the school.
• That Shawanosowe School remains in compliance with all applicable laws, school policies, and regulations. Your knowledge and understanding of these requirements will help maintain a legally and ethically sound environment. Your commitment to excellence will ensure all teachers honour the Standards of Practice for the Teaching Profession in Ontario.
• Experience supervising instructional programs of a school, evaluating lesson plans, observing classes, and teaching methods as part of teacher performance appraisals. Your goal will be to encourage the use of a variety of instructional strategies and materials consistent with Anishinaabek values and current research on learning, child growth, and development.
• For a complete job description, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Candidates must hold an Ontario Teaching Certificate with an active license with the Ontario College of Teachers, along with:
• Principal’s Qualification Program Part I and II, and active membership with Ontario’s Principal’s Council, or a plan to complete these qualifications within 2 years.
• At least five (5) years of teaching experience, with certification in three divisions.
• Additional qualifications in Special Education, Indigenous Education, or as a Supervisory Officer would be favorable.
• Knowledge and understanding of the Anishinabek history, culture, and language.
• Thorough knowledge of education systems, structures, and funding models.
• Experience working with Indigenous communities would be an asset.
• Knowledge of current key issues in First Nation education would be an asset.
Qualified candidates are requested to submit an email application which will include a comprehensive resume detailing qualifications and experience as related to the position, a written statement describing their philosophy of education, and contact information for three current professional references.
By applying, candidates permit the Whitefish River First Nation to contact any references or any past or present employers named in their application.
Please indicate the position of interest, and email your completed application to email@example.com with attention to Human Resources, by November 30, 2023, at 4:00 p.m.
Miigwetch (Thank-you) to all who apply, however only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org